Getting dinner on the table can be a chore sometimes, especially if you’re trying to feed multiple people and everyone wants something different.
One thing I’ve learned is that a big cheesy pasta dish is pretty much a win for everyone. But sometimes even that’s a chore. You’ve got to cook your pasta separate from your sauce. Or do you?
Actually you don’t, as you’ll see in this recipe. It’s all in one pan, and it comes together pretty quickly, and has a bold and zesty flavor from a surprise ingredient…burger seasoning. Yes, that’s right.
Ava’s Favorite Burger seasoning is great for burgers on the grill, but it’s got a bit of heat and flavor that’s perfect here. With Nana’s Italian seasoning blend, it’s like your favorite pasta dish, but better. And the tortellini cooks perfectly in the quick homemade sauce so you don’t have to wait for a pot of water to boil, only to end up with an extra pot to wash.
I used a can of tomato sauce for this, but if you want a chunkier sauce, you can use whole canned tomatoes and cook until they break down. Don’t use diced tomatoes here, as they won’t turn into the velvety sauce you’re looking for in this dish.
A layer of melty cheese on top adds a level of comfort that everyone loves. Eat this with your favorite garlic bread for a meal that is sure to be a big hit. And like most past dishes, this makes great leftovers, so if you’re only cooking for two, you can easily eat this for several days or freeze leftovers.
- 2 tbsp Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp Nana’s Italian spice blend
- 1 tbsp Ava’s Favorite Burger spice blend
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 12 ounce package fresh tortellini
- 28 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- grated parmesan topping
- fresh parsley topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a deep, ovenproof skillet to medium heat. Add the oil.
- Add the onions, cook until soft, then add the garlic and seasonings. Stir for about a minute.
- Add the tomato paste, stir and cook for another minute.
- Add the tortellini and stir to coat.
- Add the tomato sauce, stir and add the water.
- Cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle with the cheese and bake for 15 minutes,or until cheese is melty and browned.
- Remove, sprinkle with Parmesan and parsley before serving.