In a quest to eat healthier, one of my goals for the year has been to eat more beans and legumes. They’re filling, nutritious, and inexpensive. But sometimes, they can be a little boring, which makes them hard to eat. At least for me. Especially now that soup and stew season is starting to wind down.
So I have been trying to come up with new and exciting ways to eat them, and this recipe has become one of my favorites. It’s full of flavor from a couple different seasoning blends, has a salty cheese, lots of lemon, and comes together in a glorious bath of Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil.
This is a simple recipe and doesn’t take a long time. It takes a mundane can of chickpeas and turns them into a velvety, tender side dish that is great alongside a grilled chicken breast or steak.
- 1 Cup Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil plus 2 tablespoons Ava Jane’s Kitchen, divided
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 14 ounces can chickpeas drained
- 1 tbsp AJK's Nana's Italian spice blend
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- 1 lemon sliced
- 1 tsp AJK's Hot Roasted Garlic spice blend
- Fresh chopped parsley for serving
- Colima Sea Salt for serving
- Heat a deep skillet over medium heat. Add two tablespoons Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil and the onion and cook until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for about a minute.
- Stir in the chickpeas, sprinkle with the Italian spice blend, and add the remaining oil.
- Sprinkle with feta, add the lemon slices and sprinkle with Hot Roasted Garlic.
- Turn the heat to low, cover and braise for 30 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle with parsley and Colima Sea Salat before serving.