The idea for avocado oil whipped cream came from a dinner a friend of mine from culinary school recently put on.
I’ll spare you the details of the dinner (it was amazing by the way!) and get to the dessert. It was a rich chocolate pudding that had the most amazing whipped cream I’ve ever had. And I’ve had — and made — a lot of whipped cream in my life.
So of course, I asked him his secret. And was never so surprised to hear him say olive oil. Olive oil. In whipped cream. This got my brain working on overdrive because when I have something so amazing, I am forever trying to figure out how to make it at home. And this one sounded fairly easy.
The first thing my friend told me was that the quality of the oil was important. You want that fruity, complex flavor to shine through because otherwise, what’s the point. So fruity, complex. Did it have to be olive oil?
It turns out that no, it does not. I’ve used my Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil in dessert before, always with delicious results, so it’s no surprise that it’s delicious in whipped cream as well. But this just blew my mind at how good it is. And if you’re already making whipped cream, drizzling in a bit of oil isn’t any extra work.
When you make this, you’ll want to eat it on something special. Things that go well with the oil from a sweet side are chocolate, citrus, or nuts. So a decadent chocolate brownie, or a lemon pie, maybe? My favorite might be extra dark hot chocolate. But you can decide.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-2 tbsp powdered sugar more or less to taste
- 2-3 tbsp Ava Jane's Kitchen Avocado Oil
- Using either a stand mixer or handheld mixer, whip the cream with the sugar at high speed until it starts to form peaks.
- Turn the mixer to low and drizzle in the oil, a tablespoon at a time. Taste after one tablespoon and continue adding until the cream tastes slightly fruity, but not too oily.
- Serve immediately.