If you haven’t tried polenta, it’s safe to say you may be missing out on a savory version of oatmeal (and we all know how cozy and delicious a hot bowl of oatmeal can be!). Here polenta, or corn grits as it’s sometimes referred to, is jazzed up with wild mushrooms, fresh herbs, and rounded off with a buttery barbeque tang. Give it a spin.
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, combine the avocado oil, mushrooms, thyme, garlic, and a pinch each of salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Move to the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes.
- Increase the heat to 475ºF and toss the mushrooms, then return to the oven and let bake for another 5 minutes until crisp on the edges (watch closely).
- While the mushrooms are cooking, make the polenta.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil over medium heat. Slowly whisk in the polenta, stirring until it is soft and thick, about 5 minutes. Stir in the butter and Los Muertos spice blend. If the polenta thickens too much, thin with additional water.
- Serve the polenta with mushrooms spooned over top, followed by fresh thyme and a drizzle of additional avocado oil.