Tuna is one of my favorite proteins. It’s inexpensive and requires no cooking, so it’s often on my list for dinners when I have no other ideas.
Tuna is also one of those things that we tend to eat the same way — tuna salad, tuna melt, or tuna and noodle casserole. These are all fine, and even tasty. But they can get kind of boring sometimes.
Tuna cakes aren’t exactly a revelation either, I know, but this version is seasoned with a blend of Ava Jane’s Kitchen’s spices, with a super tasty (and easy!) blender sauce made with roasted red peppers, lots of garlic, and Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil.
These are easy to make, keto-friendly when served with a green veggie — sautéed spinach is my fave — and perfect after a long day when you want something delicious that’s not takeout.
- 2 cans tuna drained
- 2 teaspoons Ava Jane’s Kitchen Blackened Fish Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Ava Jane’s Kitchen Citrus Salt & Pepper
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 small red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 small onion finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- Combine all of the ingredients for the tuna except the oil in a large bowl and mix well.
- Form into four equal sized patties and pack them together tightly. Put on a plate and wrap with plastic and put in the fridge while you make the sauce.
- To make the sauce, add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until combined, and then continue blending until you’ve reached the desired texture.
- Remove the tuna cakes from the fridge and heat a skillet to medium heat.
- Add a bit of Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil and cook the patties until browned on both sides.
- Transfer to a plate and top with the sauce.
Use this again: You can make the tuna cakes in advance, but they are best cooked when ready to eat. Romesco sauce can be reused on grilled chicken or fish, dolloped onto eggs, or spread on a sandwich. For one or two servings: Recipe can easily be halved or doubled, but you will likely have extra sauce. Store leftovers: Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Calories: 498kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 24g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 1426mg | Potassium: 609mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1424IU | Vitamin C: 51mg | Calcium: 138mg | Iron: 4mg