Sometimes recipes are well thought out. You have and idea. You make notes, decide how things are going to go. You try it out, maybe a few times until you get it right. It’s a process.
Sometimes, however, recipes happen by accident. Because of what you have on hand. Because you’re hungry and don’t want to order takeout. That’s what happened here.
I almost always have containers of leftover odds and ends in my fridge. From dinners, from other recipe projects. Things like chopped veggies, cooked chicken, beans, grains. In this case, all of the above, plus a bag of jalapeños I bought for a different project that went nowhere.
So when cleaning out the fridge, I realized that I could combine the chicken, rice, and beans. Add some seasoning and stuff into the peppers. A bit of cheese — I always have the right cheese — and dinner is made.
The seasoning I used here was Ava Jane’s Kitchen’s Blackened Fish. It’s spicy and flavorful, and adds to the heat of the jalapeños. If you want, you can stuff this into bell peppers or those cute little baby bell peppers for a similar effect with no heat.
If everything is pre-cooked, this meal comes together so fast. So if I was going to make this again, I would plan it for the end of the week after I have a few days leftovers.
- 1/2 cup cooked rice or other grain (I use brown)
- 1/2 cup cooked and drained black beans
- 1/2 cup cooked and finely chopped chicken breast
- 1 tbsp finely chopped green onions
- 2 tsp Ava Jane's Kitchen Blackened Fish spice blend
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 4 jalapeno peppers sliced into half, seeds and membranes removed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese of your choice such as cheddar or Jack
- 1 tbsp Ava Jane's Kitchen Avocado Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the rice, beans, chicken, green onions, Blackened Fish, and sour cream in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Lay the peppers on a sheet pan cut side up.
- Fill the peppers with the mixture, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Drizzle a bit of avocado oil over the peppers.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until peppers are tender and cheese is browned.
- Serve immediately.