Broccoli salad is something that always shows up at any kind of family gathering, at least in my family. It’s not always the same recipe, and someone different makes it every time, but it’s usually some variation of broccoli, bacon, and cheese, with a creamy dressing that usually tastes just like mayo. While I love broccoli, I usually pass for this reason.
Due to ongoing circumstances, I’m not sure when my next family gathering will be, but I have decided that I will be making broccoli salad, and it will be something I want to eat. That’s where this recipe came from.
It’s a bit different than usual, in that it has chicken, but no mayo. It does have cheese, but it’s salty Parmesan, and it’s seasoned with Hot Roasted Garlic, because it’s my favorite seasoning blend, and goes with everything so why not?
The (again mayo-free!) dressing is a blend of Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil, lemon juice, Greek yogurt, and garlic. It’s creamy, garlicky goodness, and would be good on more than just broccoli, in case you’re interested.
This is a great use of leftover chicken, a rotisserie chicken, or even without chicken. You could definitely add bacon if that’s your thing, and cauliflower would make a great broccoli sub. If you like your broccoli more tender, you can blanche it for a minute or two, but I never do. It’s up to you though.
Use this again: This would be great in a wrap or served over a bed of spinach, or over quinoa or brown rice. Stuff into a baked potato for a more complete meal.
For one or two servings: Recipe can easily be halved or divided.
Store leftovers: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. If your broccoli is blanched before making the salad, it may become mushy before then.
Chicken and Broccoli Salad with Creamy Avocado Oil VinaigrettePrint Pin Rate
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- ½ cup cup raisins or dried cranberries
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken cooled
- 2 tsp Ava Jane's Kitchen Hot Roasted Garlic spice blend
- If desired, blanch your broccoli in a pot of boiling saltedwater for 1-2 minutes and drain and cool well.
- Combine the broccoli with the remaining salad ingredients ina large bowl and mix.
- Put the ingredients for the dressing in a blender and blenduntil smooth; season to taste and adjust seasonings.
- Toss the salad with the broccoli and chill until ready toserve.