Like most people, I cook with the weather. So when it’s warm and sunny, a salad is on the menu and cold weather calls for a hearty stew.
This is the time of year when we the days alternate between snowy and warm, so dinner plans can change at the drop of a hat.
This spring stew made of leeks, carrots, and tender chicken is a perfect balance. It’s warm and hearty but full of fresh veggies. And it’s seasoned with the perfect blend of spices, mainly Ava Jane’s Kitchen Sayulita Steak & Veg seasoning. Cracked pepper, paprika, and coarse salt go beautifully in a spring stew, especially when it’s a disappointing cold, rainy day.
- 2 tablespoons Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 2 leeks white parts, sliced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound potatoes diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon Ava Jane’s Kitchen Sayulita Steak & Veg seasoning
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat.
- Add the leeks, carrots, and celery and cook until softened.
- Add the garlic and potatoes and stir and cook for one minute.
- Add the thyme and steak and veg seasoning.
- Stir and add the potatoes.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add the chicken.
- Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Add back to the pot.
- Add the herbs and cream and stir until heated through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Use this again: This makes a good lunch option on its own, but could also be served over rice. For one or two servings: The recipe can easily be halved or doubled. Store leftovers: Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Calories: 438kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 1051mg | Potassium: 1168mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 6433IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 3mg