I don’t know about you, but there’s a (short!) time in the new year that I enjoy. The busyness and chaos of the holidays have died down. The cookies are gone. And no one is asking you for anything. It’s usually cold outside, at least where I am.
All of these things make it the perfect time to cozy up on the couch with food that brings joy and comfort. Like this creamy chicken and mushroom soup. I like that it’s creamy, but not cheesy after a long month of eating practically nothing but cheese.
It’s also got tons of flavor thanks to a killer seasoning blend (Ava Jane’s Kitchen Everyday Blend if you’re asking) and umami mushrooms and wild rice. If you’ve got some crusty bread, and maybe a glass of white wine, it could be the best thing you eat all year. It’s filling and tasty and comforting, and if that isn’t what you want for your New Year, then I don’t know if I can help you.
- 2 tbsp Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp Ava Jane's Kitchen Everyday Blend spice blend
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 lb chicken breast cubed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Colima sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or large pot. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and mushrooms.
- Cook until browned, about 10 minutes. Add the flour, stir,and cook for about a minute.
- Add the garlic, seasoning, and rice. Stir and cook for about a minute.
- Add the chicken, stir, and add the broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and continue cooking for 20-25 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and rice is tender.
- Turn heat to low and add the cream. Stir until heated through and serve.