I love vegetables, and try to eat as many as I can. I try to get a variety in, but it’s easy to eat the same few veggies over and over.
There are certainly reasons veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots are popular; they’re delicious after all. But sometimes, a vegetable can surprise you. Fennel is one of those.
Fennel, for those not familiar, is related to onions and garlic but has a distinct flavor and aroma of anise. Not in an overpowering way. More like you taste something amazing, but you can’t quite put your finger on it kind of way.
It’s amazing in this marinade, and goes extremely well with the citrus flavors, but especially with Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil. It adds another layer of depth that makes your meal different, surprising, and unique. As grilling season begins to get underway, a new marinade is always appreciated.
You can marinate your beef in one of two ways here. I like to cube it and thread it on skewers and grill because more of the surface area is browned and charred and toasty. But you can also marinate your steaks whole and grill them that way for a less casual meal. Either way, you’ll be coming back to this again and again.
- 1/2 cup Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 1 lemon sliced
- 1 orange sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Ava Jane’s Kitchen Citrus Salt & Pepper seasoning blend
- 1 small fennel bulb thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 green onions sliced
- 12 ounces pounds beef tenderloin cubed
- Combine all of the ingredients in a plastic freezer bag and shake to coat well.
- Refrigerate and let marinate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to cook, remove the beef from the marinade.
- Thread on skewers.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium high heat.
- Grill the beef until cooked to your liking and serve.
Use this again: Add the beef to a wrap, salad, or serve with leftover fried rice. For one or two servings: Recipe can easily be halved or doubled. Store leftovers: Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Calories: 573kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 55g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 39g | Sodium: 64mg | Potassium: 723mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 436IU | Vitamin C: 81mg | Calcium: 112mg | Iron: 1mg