I had a conversation recently with some friends about soup. Specifically, several people couldn’t believe I made my own soup when there are so many good canned versions available.
I’m not going to try to tell you that a good pre-made soup doesn’t exist, because I’m sure there is one somewhere. But soup is so easy to make that I’m not sure why you wouldn’t. Like this black bean soup. It’s spicy and flavorful, and full of healthy, filling ingredients. It requires little chopping and only a few minutes of simmering on the stove. Best of all, I know every ingredient that is in it, and it tastes that way.
It starts with some Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil, and ends with an extra sprinkle of my favorite Ava Jane’s Kitchen spice blend — Hot Roasted Garlic. It is the perfect seasoning for this hearty soup. There’s nothing better when it’s freezing cold outside than a hot, spicy soup, and this fits the bill. It’s also something you can make with mostly pantry items, so when you’re stretching your grocery trips, but still want something healthy, try this.
- 2 tablespoons Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Ava Jane’s Kitchen Hot Roasted Garlic seasoning blend plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can diced tomatoes fire roasted are perfect here!
- 2 cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken or veggie broth
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil in a heavy pot over medium heat and add the the onion. Cook until soft, add the garlic and seasonings.
- Add tomatoes, beans and broth and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes to let flavors blend.
- Add lime juice and cilantro, stir and simmer until heated through.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with extra Hot Roasted Garlic.