Bite sized food can be a problem if it’s carb heavy — mindlessly eat crostini or pita chips, and you can end up overdoing it pretty quickly. That’s why I sometimes make a switch if I’m trying to eat healthier. Apples can be a perfect vessel for scooping dips, cheese, or in this case, chicken salad.
This chicken salad is special though, because it’s not loaded with lemon juice, and has a burst of savory flavor from Ava Jane’s Kitchen’s Hot Roasted Garlic seasoning. This red pepper flake substitute is delicious in chicken salad, and becomes even more so when you top it with apple slices. It’s sweet and spicy, with a tart crunch. A tart apple like Granny Smith is best for this. It’s a perfect snack food.
If you want to eat your chicken salad in a sandwich, you can chop or grate the apple and add it directly to the salad for the same effect. You can also swap tuna for the chicken if you want a totally no-cook option.
- 2 cups shredded or finely chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 small rib celery minced
- 1 tablespoon Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 2 teaspoons Ava Jane’s Kitchen Hot Roasted Garlic seasoning more or less to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Sliced Granny Smith apples for serving
- Mix the chicken, celery, oil, seasoning and lemon in a bowl until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture onto apple slices to serve.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.