If you’re trying to follow a keto diet, pizza is probably the hardest thing to give up. Not to mention, it’s a fan favorite of just about everyone, and is the number one dish served at most gatherings.
I don’t follow a keto diet, but after eating a bunch of pizza with a friend that does, it made me realize how hard it must be. So I decided to try to come up with something that would still have that pizza flavor without the carbs.
Turns out, it’s not that hard, as one of the main ingredients in pizza makes a pretty good crust. What would that be, you ask? Cheese!
This recipe is pretty easy. Just mix two kinds of cheese, an egg, and some seasonings, and then bake until it’s browned and bubbly. I added pepperoni before baking, but you can easily add any kind of topping you want. Serve it with a sauce on the side — marinara is traditional, but you could easily use Ranch, hot sauce, or a combination.
Can this replace pizza? Maybe not for me, but if you want the flavor and satisfaction, it’s definitely worthy.
Use this again: This is best made and eaten right after making it. While you certainly can save it and reheat, I don’t recommend it.
For one or two servings: You can cut the recipe in half — just use a whole egg — but it may take less time in the oven, so keep an eye on it.
Store leftovers: This is best made when ready to eat.
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, provolone, or combination
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Ava Jane's Kitchen Nana’s Italian seasoning
- Your favorite pizza toppings (I used pepperoni)
- Ava Jane's Kitchen Hot Roasted Garlic spice blend
- Dipping sauce of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add both cheeses, egg, and Ava Jane's Kitchen Nana’s Italian seasoning. Mix well.
- Spread the mixture in an even layer on your prepared pan. It doesn’t have to fill the pan or be any particular shape; it should be about 1/4inch thick all around.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until browned and bubbly. Switch to broil and broil for a more browned and bubbly version.
- Remove and slice. Sprinkle with Hot Roasted Garlic and serve with your favorite sauce.