I don’t follow a keto diet, and I also don’t eat a lot of pasta, but I love zucchini noodles, or zoodles as they are sometimes called.
Especially when doused in a yummy lemon garlic butter sauce and topped with juicy steak. How can this be healthy?!
I’ve cooked a lot of zoodles in my life and learned an important lesson — zucchini holds a lot of water. And the bigger they are, the more water they hold. So step one is to choose smaller zucchini.
Step two comes after you’ve cut your zucchini into noodles, and it will greatly improve texture of your noodles. You’ll want to lay them on a layer of paper towels and sprinkle them with salt. This will draw out a lot of that moisture. The difference is night and day.
If you choose pre-cut zoodles (no judgment — I have done it myself) you should look at the ingredients to see if they have added sodium. If so, you can skip the salt step.
This recipe is easy and delicious, keto-friendly, and filling. Perfect for busy nights when you want something fast but also tasty.
- Put a layer of paper towels on a clean surface and spread the zoodles on top. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 10 minutes or so and then squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Whisk the oil, soy sauce, seasoning, and lemon juice together. Put the steak in a freezer bag and pour the marinade over top. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, heat a deep skillet over medium heat. Add the butter to the pan and add the steak. Cook until browned and remove from pan.
- Add the garlic, cook for a minute, and add the zoodles.
- Stir and cook until softened and add the steak back to the pan. Stir until heated through.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.