I’m a huge fan of arugula. It’s peppery and bitter, yet tender, and is the perfect accompaniment to sweet things like maple syrup and sweet potatoes. It’s something often thrown haphazardly on top of pizzas or sprinkled on sandwiches because it’s kind of trendy, but it really shines when you use more of it.
Like this salad. It’s the perfect fall salad — sweet potatoes roasted with maple syrup and a spicy seasoning until they are caramelized. Some red onions, a few sunflower seeds, and a quick and easy dressing, and dinner is on the table.
Use baby arugula if you can find it; it’s remarkably tender, holds much more flavor, and requires little prep. If you can’t find arugula — or you just don’t like it — you can swap baby spinach or even just the standard baby mixed greens. It won’t have that same peppery bite, but it will still be a salad, and will still make you feel good about what you’re eating.
- 3 tablespoons Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well. Set aside.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with the seasoning, maple syrup, and avocado oil. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes, until caramelized and tender.
- The the remaining salad ingredients in a bowl. Add the sweet potatoes, toss with the dressing, and sprinkle with Colima Sea Salt before serving.