I recently made dinner for some friends who had decided to go grain-free. After much planning, I decided on a menu, but the rice dish I had wanted to make had to be cut.
I wanted to keep the rice, but also make sure everyone could eat it. So I adjusted, and used cauliflower rice instead.
Okay. I am not a huge fan of cauliflower rice. But that’s because I haven’t given up grains. But if I were to give them up, this side dish would definitely be a satisfying replacement.
Wanting to liven it up a bit, I decided roasting was my cooking method of choice. I started with some butternut squash, added a zesty seasoning blend — Ava Jane’s Kitchen Blackened Fish — and added some herbs and salty bacon at the end. It worked so well. Sweet, salty, spicy. It is everything.
- 1 1/2 cups butternut or acorn squash diced
- 2 tbsp Ava Jane's Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Ava Jane's Kitchen Blackened Fish spice blend
- 1 small head of cauliflower riced in a food processor, OR about 4 cups pre-riced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp green onions sliced
- 1/4 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- Colima Sea Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the squash with half the avocado oil, all of the seasonings and a pinch of salt
- Spread it on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25minutes, until tender and lightly caramelized.
- Remove pan from oven and add the cauliflower and remaining oil. Toss and continue roasting, about 10 more minutes, until cauliflower is tender.
- Remove from oven, add the herbs and bacon, and stir.
- Serve immediately.