I had some leftover shrimp cocktail after a backyard barbecue and wanted to use it up the next day. Since it’s already cooked, you’re limited in what you can do with it without it turning into a rubbery mess. And eating shrimp cocktail by yourself isn’t what I’d call a party, so something had to be done.
Enter shrimp salad but not the usual kind. I’m generally not a fan of mayo based salads, so that’s out. But still wanted something kind of creamy with that rich mouthfeel. Also, I needed some flavor.
For the creaminess, I made a mustardy dressing with Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil, lemon, a bit of Greek yogurt, and some Dijon mustard. For crunch, I added celery. Green onions for some oniony goodness, and finally for seasoning, I added some Sayulita Steak and Veg. This blend is heavy on the black pepper, with coarse garlic and lots of zesty spices. It worked well with the creamy dressing.
For the shrimp, you’ll have to remove the tails and chop. I kind of rough chopped mine for a bit of texture, but if you want finely chopped shrimp salad, then you do you.
This is delicious on a bun that you eat on the back porch with a cold beer, but you could also eat it over a bed of greens for a healthier version. Either way, you can’t go wrong.
- 8 ounces shrimp cocktail or cooked shrimp tails removed, chopped
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 tablespoon Ava Jane’s Kitchen Sayulita Steak and Veg Seasoning
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Combine the shrimp, celery, green onions, garlic and seasoning in a mixing bowl. Stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the yogurt, lemon juice, oil, and mustard until smooth and creamy.
- Add the dressing to the salad and mix well.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Use this again: This is perfect on a roll or bun, but also delicious as is or served over a bed of greens. For one or two servings: Recipe can easily be halved or doubled. Store leftovers: Store leftovers in a airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Calories: 93kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 72mg | Potassium: 57mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 158IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1mg