For a lot of people, we’re still enjoying weeknight family dinners outside because it’s just too nice not to. Of course, that means a lot of BBQ’s.
That’s where this week’s recipe comes in. It’s hearty, full of flavor, easy to make, and is perfect when paired with your favorite outdoor beverage (maybe even the leftover tequila you have after making the marinade). You can use the marinade on chicken, steaks, pork, or even salmon or shrimp.
So let’s talk about the ingredients and how they go together, shall we? We’ll start with the avocado oil, which as you know, has a floral, grassy flavor and aroma. I’ve paired it in marinades before, but always relied on herbs to give it extra flavor. This time, although, I am partial to fresh herbs, I wanted to give it more punch. So I grabbed a few of my favorite ingredients of all time: lime juice, smoked paprika, and tequila. In addition, I added one of my favorite seasoning blends: Los Muertos Barbecue. This smoky, spicy seasoning is perfect in dishes like this, but it’s going away so get some soon! Link is in the notes section at the end of the recipe, and when it’s gone, it’s gone! These are flavors that immediately hit your tastebuds, and, unsurprisingly, they go perfectly with the avocado oil.
I marinated boneless skinless chicken breasts overnight in the fridge to make sure it would soak up the flavor, but if you’re short on time, a few hours should suffice. This makes enough marinade for about 6 chicken breasts, but you can easily halve or double it.
Download this recipe in easy to print PDF format: Smoky Tequila Lime Marinated Chicken
- 1/2 cup your favorite tequila
- Juice of 4 limes
- 1/4 cup Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Ava Jane’s Kitchen Los Muertos Barbecue seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 teaspoon Colima Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 chicken breasts
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well combined. Put the chicken in a shallow dish or large freezer bag and coat well with the marinade. Refrigerate, turning if necessary every so often to ensure it’s evenly marinate. Marinate for at least 2 hours, or overnight for even more flavor.
- When ready to grill, preheat grill to medium high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill until cooked through. Serve the chicken with your favorite cookout sides.