My dad, who watches carbs, loves fajitas, but doesn’t eat them often because of the carbs from the tortillas. He was telling me recently that he had tried different variations to reduce carbs, like salads, or lettuce wraps, but nothing is quite as good, and can I make a recipe that is as good with fewer carbs?
Okay, challenge accepted. I can kind of see why a salad or lettuce wraps are not the same, I mean, is there anything that can compare to a warm tortilla? Not lettuce, that’s for sure. After brainstorming, I came to the conclusion that I had to make something that satisfies like traditional fajitas, but is actually kind of nutritious. The answer? Chili, of course.
And that’s how this recipe was born. It’s got all the same flavor notes, but without the simple carbs. Instead, to satisfy that carb need, I added black beans, which are filling but won’t weigh you down. It’s got peppers, onions, and an amazing spice blend that consists of two Ava Jane’s Kitchen Seasonings: the Sayulita Steak and Veg, and the Los Muertos Barbecue. Combined, it hits all the right notes: sweet, spicy, garlicky, and everything in between.
Top this with whatever might top your chili with — sour cream, avocado, cheese. Whatever you like will work here. Just maybe not lettuce.
- 2 tbsp Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 2 lbs beeftop round steak cubes
- 1 onion diced
- 2 bell peppers, any color diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Ava Jane's Los Muertos Barbecue spice blend
- 1 tbsp Ava Jane's Kitchen Sayulita Steak & Veg spice blend
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 14 ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 Juice of lime
Toppings: gratedcheese, diced avocado, sour cream, etc.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the steak and cook until well browned.
- Add the onions and peppers and cook until softened. Add the garlic and seasonings and cook for about a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil and add the beans. Reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer the chili until beef is tender, up to several hours to develop flavor. Before serving, add the lime juice.
- Top with desired garnishes before serving.