If there is a better cold weather food than chili, I certainly don’t know what it is. Hearty meat and beans simmered with rich spices and chunky vegetables? That is comfort food at its best. There are a million versions of chili out there, and while a good classic beef and kidney bean version is delicious, sometimes something different is warranted.
In this case, I’ve swapped the beef for ground turkey, and added some cubed butternut squash. The squash adds a nice sweetness that contrasts nicely with the spices I chose for this. I skipped the chili powder in favor of Ava Jane’s Kitchen Blackened Fish seasoning, and added some Roadside Chicken to give it a nice flavor punch. A minced jalapeno adds some heat that you might be missing from the lack of chili powder. It’s definitely not traditional, but it its delicious, and isn’t that kinda the point?
For extra smokiness, you can use fire roasted diced tomatoes, but if you can’t find them, just the regular ones will do.
Like any chili, this is delicious on the second day, so don’t be afraid to make extra. Especially if it’s cold and snowy and you know you’re going to be staying inside for a few.
- 3 tbsp Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 butternut squash peeled, cored and diced
- 1 tbsp Ava Jane's Kitchen Blackened Fish spice blend
- 1 tsp Ava Jane's Kitchen Roadside Chicken spice blend
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 14 ounce cans black beans, drained
- 1 Juice of lime
- Colima Sea Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat. Add the turkey, onions, and garlic, and cook until turkey is no longer pink, breaking up with a spatula as you go.
- Add the squash and spices and cook for about a minute.
- Add the tomatoes paste, stir and add the tomatoes with liquid
- Add the broth and beans, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, adding more broth or water as you go if necessary.
- Taste, season with salt and pepper, and add the lime juice.
- Serve immediately.