***Recipe courtesy of our awesome friends at PaleoHacks***
Buttery, succulent whole chicken is seasoned with an herb blend and roasted over hearty root vegetables for an easy aromatic dinner!
Roasting a whole chicken might sound intimidating, but it’s one of the easiest ways to serve a crowd. This elegant one-pot dinner offers a mix of tender light and dark meat and plenty of veggies to go around. Plus, all you need is a handful of ingredients—none of which will cause uncomfortable bloating later
Start with a bed of chopped root veggies in the bottom of a Dutch oven. The vegetables will catch the buttery herb drippings from the chicken as it roasts. This recipe uses coarsely chopped carrots and rainbow radishes, but parsnips, shallots, fennel, celery, or any other hearty veggie can be used instead.
Both the inside and the outside of the chicken is coated in butter and seasonings. Ava Jane’s Everyday Spice Blend offers all the herb goodness you’d want in a roasted chicken without emptying your whole spice cabinet. Notes of citrus and herbs like onion, garlic, and rosemary work together for a crispy coating and a mouthwatering aroma.
- Use a 5-quart Dutch oven for plenty of room when roasting chicken and vegetables.
- A 5-pound chicken will feed 4–5 people at once, or you can use this recipe for meal prep.
- Be sure to remove giblets from cavity before roasting. These are often in a bag for easy removal.
- Use a meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone to check the temperature. You’ll want the internal temperature to reach 170ºF.
- If the top of the chicken starts to get too browned while roasting, tent with aluminum foil.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Prep time- 10 minutes
Cook time- 1½ hours
Total time- 1 hour, 40 minutes
5 lb whole chicken, giblets removed
3 T grass-fed butter at room temperature, divided
3 t Ava Jane’s Everyday Spice Blend, divided
4 cups carrots, coarsely chopped
2 cups rainbow radishes, halved
Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
Place the chicken on a cutting board and pat dry with a paper towel. Rub 1 tablespoon of butter in the cavity and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of Everyday Spice Blend.
Coat the top of the chicken (including under the skin) with remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and sprinkle remaining Everyday Spice Blend on top. Gently press the spice mix into the butter to help it stick. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
Add carrots and radishes to the Dutch oven, then place the chicken on top, tucking in the wings. Roast on the lowest rack in the oven for 1½ hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 170ºF.
Let the Dutch oven rest at room temperature for 15 minutes before slicing the chicken. Serve with the roasted vegetables.
Easy to download PDF: Everyday Blend Roasted Chicken
Visit PaleoHacks.com for more Paleo friendly recipes!!