***Recipe courtesy of our awesome friends at PaleoHacks***
Celebrate summertime with these smoky grilled pork chops served over a tangy fennel cabbage slaw!
Every great barbecue needs a zippy sauce for slathering. This recipe makes it easy to create a Paleo-friendly homemade sauce that’s also low in sugar. All you need to do is mix Ava Jane’s Los Muertos BBQ blend with raw honey and tomato sauce, and you’ll have a smoky-sweet sauce perfect for caramelized, sticky pork chops. This smoky seasoning is made with dried peppers and parasite-fighting garlic, and it doubles as a one-ingredient dry rub for beef brisket or ribs.
Nothing beats grilled meat in the summertime. For these pork chops, we start with direct heat to sear and create grill marks, then let the chops finish over indirect heat. This foolproof method allows the pork chops to cook perfectly in the center without burning the outside. You can use this same technique for other lean cuts of meat, like chicken breast.
A cool and crunchy slaw offers refreshing contrast to the pork chops. This slaw has just a hint of anise from the shaved fennel, with cilantro and parsley brightening it up. Mix the slaw together ahead of time so the flavors can meld together in the fridge. If you aren’t a fan of fennel, use thinly sliced sweet white onion or celery to achieve a similar crunch.
- Because boneless chops are so lean, they can easily dry out if overcooked. Use a meat thermometer to prevent overcooking, and remove the chops from the grill as soon as it hits 145ºF.
- Don’t have an outdoor grill? You can also make the pork chops indoors on a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Time saver alert! You can make the barbecue sauce ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator until serving.
Prep time- 15 minutes
Cook time- 20 minutes
Rest time – 5 minutes
Total time- 40 minutes
Medium mixing bowl
Small mixing bowl
For the Slaw:
3 T lemon juice
1 T raw honey
1/2 t sea salt
4 cups shredded green cabbage
1 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup chopped curly parsley
For the BBQ Sauce:
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 T raw honey
For the Meat:
4 boneless, skinless pork chops
- Start by making the slaw: Stir together the avocado oil, lemon juice, honey, and sea salt in a medium mixing bowl. Add the cabbage, fennel, cilantro, and parsley and stir well. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to 400ºF.
- Make the BBQ sauce in a small bowl by stirring together all ingredients. Reserve half the sauce for serving.
- Use a paper towel to blot the pork chops dry. Lightly brush ¼ of the barbecue sauce on top.
- Place the pork chops on the hot grill over direct heat and sear for 5 minutes. Turn the pork chops and baste with remaining barbecue sauce. Grill 5 more minutes.
- Move the chops over to indirect heat and grill another 10 minutes, or until the chops register 145ºF. Remove from the heat and let the chops rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve the pork chops over fennel slaw with reserved BBQ sauce for dipping.
Easy to download PDF: Los Muertos Grilled Pork Chops
Visit PaleoHacks.com for more Paleo friendly recipes!!